Reading time ( words)
The IPC V-TSL-MVIA Weak Interface Microvia Failures Technology Solutions Subcommittee formed in 2018 to identify the need to identify the risks, causes, and mitigation of failures due to a weak interface between the plated copper at the bottom of a microvia and the underlying copper surface.
The subcommittee will hold an open forum during IPC APEX EXPO for industry to discuss this important topic and how industry can come together to address it. Attendees will be invited to share their own issues regarding the weak microvia interface and will learn how to participate on the subcommittee.
IPC Weak Microvia Interface Open Forum
Wednesday, January 30
10:15 AM to 12:00 PM
San Diego Convention Center
1. Background: History of the effort, scope of work, status and organization
2. Presentation: Current Understanding of the Problem/Mitigation Measures
3. Weak Microvia Interface Project Subteam Reports
• Data Collation and Mining on the Issue
• FMEA “Fishbone”
• Engineering Simulation
4. Next Steps and Goals
• Near term: Breakout teams
• Middle term:
o Knowns/Unknowns: Can any intermediate conclusions or improved mitigation techniques be communicated?
o Identify Testing Needed: Gaps and confirmation
• Long term: Prevention: Can it be accomplished through design, process enhancements, etc.?
5. Q&A Session and How to Get Involved
The IPC V-TSL-MVIA Weak Interface Microvia Failures Technology Solutions Subcommittee formed as a result of work done on IPC-WP-023. Order IPC-WP-023, IPC Technology Solutions White Paper on Performance-Based Printed Board OEM Acceptance Via Chain Continuity Reflow Test: The Hidden Reliability Threat – Weak Microvia Interface from the IPC bookstore.