Reading time ( words)
Under today’s manufacturing and market environment, the effort to maximize production yield, reduce cost and assure product reliability is becoming increasingly important to a company’s competitiveness. Considering the new and anticipated developments in packaging and assembly and with the goal of achieving high yield and reliability in mind, the “how-to” prevent prevailing production defects and product reliability issues through an understanding of potential causes is a necessity.
At the upcoming IPC APEX EXPO 2019 in San Diego, California, Dr. Jennie Hwang will hold a professional development course that will address two selected areas related to product failure—intermetallics and tin whisker—and the top five production defects: PCB pad cratering vs. pad lifting, BGA head-on-pillow, open or insufficient solder joints, copper dissolution issue and lead-free through-hole barrel filling. Specific defects associated with BTCs and PoPs and the reliability of BTC and PoP assembly will also be outlined.
Tin whiskers will be highlighted on key areas, particularly the mitigating measures and the efficacy ranking of the practical mitigating options.
The course, titled Preventing Production Defects and Product Failures (PD15), will be held on January 28, 2019, from 9:00 to 12:00 pm. It provides a holistic overview of product reliability including the important roles of materials, processes and testing/service conditions, as well as the crucial principles behind the product reliability. The course addresses the most prevalent production issues and defects that affect yield, cost and reliability, suitable to all who are involved with or interested in SnPb and Pb-free manufacturing including designers, engineers, researchers, managers and business decision makers; also is designed for those who desire the broad-based information.
Main topics to be covered are listed below:
- Premise of production defects and product failure prevention
- Common production defects and issues in lead-free assembly
- Product reliability: Principles
- Product reliability: Solder joint, PCB and component considerations
- PCB pad cratering (vs. pad lifting) causes and solutions
- Open or insufficient solder joints: Different sources, best practices
- BGA head-on-pillow defect: Causes, factors, remedies
- Copper dissolution: Process factors, impact on through-hole joint reliability, mitigation
- Lead-free through-hole barrel filling: Material, process and solder joint integrity
- Defects of BTC and PoP solder joints: Prevention and remedies
- Intermetallic compounds: Fundamentals, characteristics
- Intermetallic compounds: Effects on failure mode, solder joint reliability
- Tin whisker: Applications of concern, practical criteria, testing challenges
- Tin whisker: Growth phenomena, contributing factors, risk mitigation, practical remedies
To register, click here.