Reading time ( words)
Originating from a passionate team of ten engineers, Koh Young Technology has flourished into the industry leader of True 3D measurement-based inspection solutions. May 2022 will see us celebrate 20 years of innovation! “From being a newcomer in the inspection industry to the global leader in the SPI market took us just three years. This accomplishment is – without doubt – thanks to our team, our customers, and our partners,” reflects Dr. Kwangill Koh, Founder and CEO of Koh Young Technology.
Back in the early 2000s, machines were not dependable enough to inspect printed solder paste or mounted components, so a human worker had to sit at the line, stare at each solder brick and component on a board, and then identify defects with their eyes under a Logo
Description automatically generated magnifying lens. The industry had to replace this manual process with an inspection machine designed with enough software intelligence to substitute a human mind with more accuracy than the human eye. Now, our 3D inspection systems are the de facto standard for inspection and have revolutionized the electronics manufacturing industry.
During our climb to the zenith of the inspection market, we achieved several notable accomplishments along the way. Some of Dr. Koh’s most memorable events include:
- Shifting the inspection market paradigm in 2003 with our 3D solder paste inspection (SPI) system
- Overcoming impossible hurdles to invent 3D automated optical inspection (AOI) in 2010
- Creating the industry’s first A.I. (artificial intelligence) technology that helped build the ultimate smart factory of the future, all the while developing our foray into semiconductor and advanced packaging inspection solutions with the Meister Series in 2017
- Developing the industry’s first in-line dispensing process inspection system in 2021 (Neptune) to inspect the thickness of conformal coating as well as any transparent materials in 2021
“Inventing an innovative technology and shifting an industry paradigm is not a road often taken, yet Koh Young will gladly hop on the path,” commented Dr. Koh. “The unyielding commitment and fighting spirit required to take such paths are in our DNA.”
Additional content from Koh Young:
- The Printed Circuit Assembler’s Guide to… SMT Inspection: Today, Tomorrow, and Beyond by Brent Fischthal
- “Converting Process Data Into Intelligence” by Joel Scutchfield and Ivan Aduna, a free 12-part micro webinar series
- You can also view other titles in our full I-007e book library here