Reading time ( words)
Fabrinet, a leading provider of advanced optical packaging and precision optical, electro-mechanical and electronic manufacturing services to original equipment manufacturers of complex products, today announced its financial results for the first fiscal quarter, ended September 25, 2015.
Tom Mitchell, Chief Executive Officer of Fabrinet, said, "We are off to a strong start in fiscal 2016 with first quarter revenue and non-GAAP profitability that exceeded our expectations. In addition to beginning production at our new product introduction and advanced packaging facility in Santa Clara, we recently broke ground on the first building of what will become a second manufacturing campus in Thailand. We expect this added space to enable us to continue scaling our business as our current facilities reach capacity levels. With overall manufacturing space at our new campus that will ultimately represent a more than doubling of capacity, we are setting the stage for continued profitable growth as we look ahead."
First Quarter Fiscal-Year 2016 Financial Highlights
- Revenue was $216.4 million for first quarter of fiscal year 2016, an increase of 14% compared to total revenue of $189.3 million for the comparable period in fiscal year 2015.
- GAAP net income for the first quarter of fiscal year 2016 was $1.6 million, compared to GAAP net income of $11.0 million in the first quarter of fiscal year 2015. The decrease in GAAP net income was primarily due to a $(10.9) million unrealized foreign exchange loss for the mark-to-market adjustment of forward contracts entered into to partially hedge against future variable costs.
- GAAP net income for the first quarter of fiscal year 2016 was $0.04 per diluted share, compared to GAAP net income of $0.31 per diluted share, in the first quarter of fiscal year 2015.
- Non-GAAP net income in the first quarter of fiscal 2016 was $16.2 million, an increase of 12% compared to non-GAAP net income of $14.5 million in the same period a year ago.
- Non-GAAP net income in the first quarter of fiscal 2016 was $0.45 per diluted share, an increase from non-GAAP net income of $0.41 per diluted share, in the same period a year ago.
Based on information available as of November 2, 2015, Fabrinet is issuing guidance for the second quarter of fiscal 2016 as follows:
- Fabrinet expects second quarter revenue to be in the range of $218 million to $222 million.
- GAAP net income per diluted share is expected to be in the range of $0.41 to $0.43, based on approximately 36.6 million fully diluted shares outstanding.
- Non-GAAP net income per diluted share is expected to be in the range of $0.45 to $0.47, based on approximately 36.6 million fully diluted shares outstanding.
Fabrinet is a leading provider of advanced optical packaging and precision optical, electro-mechanical, and electronic manufacturing services to original equipment manufacturers of complex products, such as optical communication components, modules and subsystems, industrial lasers and sensors. Fabrinet offers a broad range of advanced optical and electro-mechanical capabilities across the entire manufacturing process, including process design and engineering, supply chain management, manufacturing, advanced packaging, integration, final assembly and test. Fabrinet focuses on production of high complexity products in any mix and any volume. Fabrinet maintains engineering and manufacturing resources and facilities in Thailand, the People's Republic of China and the United States.