Reading time ( words)
Nordson Corporation reported results for the fiscal second quarter ended April 30, 2023. Sales were $650 million, a 2% increase compared to the prior year’s second quarter sales of $635 million. The increase in second quarter 2023 sales includes an organic increase of 1% and a favorable acquisition impact of 3%, offset by unfavorable currency translation of 2%. The organic sales increase was driven by strong 7% growth in Asia Pacific.
Operating profit in the second quarter was $173 million. Adjusted operating profit, excluding severance costs, totaled $176 million, or 27% of sales, compared to prior year adjusted operating profit of $184 million. The 4% decrease in operating profit was driven by the impact of unfavorable currency translation and sales mix. EBITDA for the second quarter of 2023 totaled $203 million, or 31% of sales.
Net income was $128 million, or $2.21 earnings per diluted share. Adjusted net income was $130 million, a $12 million decrease from the prior year earnings of $142 million. The decrease was driven by lower operating profit and increased interest expense. Second quarter 2023 adjusted earnings per diluted share were $2.26, a 7% decrease from the prior year adjusted earnings per diluted share of $2.43.
“The diversification of our business came through once again in our second quarter performance. Solid growth in our industrials, consumer non-durable and medical interventional solutions product lines helped offset the sales decrease in our products serving the semiconductor and the biopharmaceutical end markets enabling strong profitability of 31% EBITDA. While we remain invested in our direct sales teams and NBS Next training programs, our segments are taking targeted cost actions to address the current business environment. The combination of these choices will continue driving long-term profitable growth,” said Sundaram Nagarajan, president and chief executive officer.
Second Quarter Segment Results
Industrial Precision Solutions sales of $336 million represents organic growth of 9% over the prior year, offset by unfavorable currency translation impacts. The growth was driven primarily by robust demand in the polymer processing product lines and for products in the consumer non-durable end market across most regions. Operating profit in the quarter was $112 million, or 33% of sales, a 9% increase over the prior year second quarter.
Medical and Fluid Solutions sales of $167 million decreased 3% compared to the prior year second quarter. Organic sales decreased 2% and currency had an unfavorable impact of 1%. The organic sales decrease was driven by significant softness in the medical fluid components and fluid solutions product lines, offset by strong demand for medical interventional solutions product lines. Operating profit totaled $48 million. Adjusted operating profit, which excludes severance, was $49 million, or 30% of sales, a decrease of 15% compared to the prior year second quarter operating profit. The decreased segment profitability continued to be impacted by meaningful sales mix changes within medical product lines and related factory inefficiencies due to reduced volumes.
Advanced Technology Solutions sales of $148 million increased 1% compared to the prior year second quarter. Sales benefited from the acquisition impact of 12% partially offset by a decrease in organic sales of 10% and an unfavorable currency impact of 2%. The organic sales decrease was driven by electronics dispense products serving semiconductor end markets in the Americas and Asia, slightly offset by continued growth in test and inspection product lines. Operating profit was $26 million. Adjusted operating profit, which excludes severance, totaled $28 million, or 19% of sales, was down 30% compared to the prior year second quarter operating profit. The decline in operating profit during the quarter was driven by the organic sales decrease, partially offset by profitable acquisition growth.
Backlog entering the second half of fiscal 2023 remains strong at $950 million and continues to be heavily weighted toward systems and medical interventional solutions. Order entry has been steady throughout the quarter. Based on current visibility, we now expect fourth quarter sales to be the strongest of the year, increasing low-mid single digits over the prior year fourth quarter. We expect third quarter sales to be comparable to the prior year, as a result of the pull forward of certain systems sales into the second quarter. On balance, the Company is maintaining its previously issued full-year revenue growth guidance of 0% to 3% over record fiscal 2022 and narrowing adjusted earnings guidance to the range of $8.90 to $9.30.